Friday, March 12, 2010

Friday

This is Day 5 of chemo, and minimal side effects have begun. Won't go into details, but its not too bad. My doctors see me every day, ask the same questions, but have no news for me AT ALL. I guess everything hinges on my next bone marrow aspiration and biopsy, so this is just one huge waiting game. For those who know me, you know that waiting isn't one of my strong suits. After my chemo stops on Sunday, I wait up here for 14 more days until they do the bone marrow and see what my marrow looks like. If there are less than 5% cancer cells, I'm in remission. If there are over 5%, then they start the chemo regime all over again. I'm praying for 0%.

The recreational therapist decided I was "too bored", so she taught me how to crochet today. Took a 30 minute lesson from her and I can make a scarf just perfect for a small mouse (with a sturdy neck). And that's after 45 minutes of intense trying. So if you know a mouse with a strong cold neck, let me know -- I can set that mouse up with a cute little gray scarf.

I really miss work and being at home. My life is in a hospital room and the unit's corridors. This is a closed unit, so I can't go beyond a set of double doors unless I have to go to an MRI, CAT scan, x-ray, etc. The corridor is 149ft long, so I walk back and forth non-stop until I log a mile of walking. And then I get to go back to my room. ARGH!

4 comments:

  1. Beth, I finally got to your blog today and am so glad you are posting. Want some good news? I am a frequent blood donor and there is at least some chance that you could be getting the benefit of my gift with every transfusion! Just what you always wanted, huh? Bad news is that I'm not due to give again for a while, by which time you'll be out of there and on the road to recovery, so you may have gotten all you're going to get out of me.

    Post ya later,
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  2. The better news is that blood cant really affect your personna. Because if you got some of mine you would be like Catnip to the opposite sex. I am sure your not ready for that yet. For me its a constant daily struggle.
    heh

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't worry Beth, a girlfriend of mine taught me how to crochet as well and I only got so far as to provide a blanket for your mouse :) I would think I was on a roll only to find out I didn't include all the lines I was supposed to and had to start all over. It's fun in theory but a pain in the a**!!
    Your babies however will LOVE the extra ball of yarn you have so it's not a total loss.
    Until your next adventure in confinement, you'll be in my prayers.
    Jen

    ReplyDelete