Saturday, March 6, 2010

Day 4

Well, at 4am on day 4 ... I'm up drinking coffee (they let me have my own Keurig coffeemaker in my room) and listening to the overhead pages "Dr. Cat Room ###" "Anesthesiologist Room ###". This information blasts all over the hospital. One of my nurses came in and told me that the UofC Call Center is in Darien (off site) and apparently something happened to a patient, but nobody called the Call Center to shut the announcement off. So its now 4:47a and the announcements continue. I'm about ready to call the Call Center myself and tell them to "shut it down". Noise in this hospital is actually not bad, but I'm in a private oncology room, which seems like Fort Knox with doors, double doors, sealed airlocked doorways, reverse airflows, etc.

Looked up my survival rate for this cancer (Acute Myelogenous Leukemia): its about 30% survival at 5 years, not so swift. But they are still classifying the genetics on the cells, so I'm not going to jump off any cliff right now.

I have to order breakfast soon - UofC has a very nice menu, and no trays are automatically delivered. Each patient has to choose their items from a rather extensive menu, call in to the kitchen, and then your choices are delivered to your room. Its just like a restaurant. The dietician came up and saw me yesterday and told me that I had to order "more calories"....????? I asked her if she noted that I was overweight, and she said she didn't care -- my chemo treatment will probably knock out my appetite, so she wanted to see me order at least 3,000 calories/day. REALLY? This is heaven. She also told me "more fruit". So now the fruit nazi's are watching me.

More later.....

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think what you are doing is awesome and I really want to keep reading more so keep up the posts!

    ReplyDelete