Monday, March 8, 2010

C-Day

"Today is the first day of the rest of my life". Quite literally, today is ground zero. Dr. Larsen was just in and told me that I have AML-M5 (monoblastic), and I do not have Flit3. Overall, this information is good -- still have leukemia, but getting into remission won't be as difficult. They are still waiting to hear on other information, they are growing my cells in the lab and will be doing something with them....but per statistics, I now have a better than average chance of surviving this disease. Sad to say that I'll have to have 3 more bone marrow aspirations/biopsies before I leave UofC in 4 weeks.

The chemo regimen that I'm starting is labeled ADE -- AraC, Daunorubicin and Etoposide. AraC will run continuously over 7 days, and the Daunorubicin and Etoposide will be intermittent doses at particularly times/days. This will be one very nauseous week for me, but they are promising tons of medications to keep the nausea at bay. I'm just glad to get this party started -- the sooner we get going, the sooner I can get home.

8 comments:

  1. I'd say that's some pretty awesome news.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lets get this party going party starter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Beth, this is Debbie at Dyer South. My prayer are with and you family. I will be with you all the way thru the party. I will sing, dance, cry and make some touble just so you can get back here and get me!
    I am trying to figure this blog out, so you know All of us at Dyer South is Think of You!
    Well I figure it out. LOL we have to make our own account. So now you have my email. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look Beth, I couldn't even spell Trouble right. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Beth, it is Heather. Little scared they are growing your cells :) Glad to read you shaved the head!! The scraggly look isn't so good, took me forever to convince my mom of that. Just wanted to give you lame attempt at some comedy and to say hi!! You will be in my prayers!! Try to stay your normal fiesty self ok? The blog is a great idea!! I would never know how to begin one of these things!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Go Mama Schaef! Im praying for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Beth, When you said you were looking for a way to take some time off I didn't think you would go to this extreme! If I know you well enough, you are probably concerned about work....but please don't be. We are saving everything for when you return. You didn't think we would be able to fill your shoes did you? My prayers are with you and knowing how tremendously resilient you are, this will be just another challenge that you overcome. I do hope you take some pictures of your "GI Jane look" to share with us when you return. I bet you look better than Demi! Let me know if there is anything I can do for you!
    Your buddy, John P.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I shaved once, but I was itchy for weeks.

    ReplyDelete