Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Chemo - Day 3

So far, so good (still)! No bad side effects, but my experience in administering chemo tells me that the bad effects may start tomorrow or the next day. My body is still operating off of the cells it made last week, and once they start dying off and no new cells can be created, that's when the mouth ulcers, the nausea/vomiting, etc., will begin. But those same side effects should be short-term because I'm now getting two units of blood per day to help things along.

Still no news on the genetic coding of my cancer. The genetic coding will determine my final prognosis. Apparently this testing takes several weeks.

Things I've learned:
1. Don't wait to go to the bathroom; since you're hooked to three or four IV pumps 24-hrs of the day, make sure all electrical cords are long enough to reach the potty. Otherwise, you have to take the time to unplug everything, and those few precious seconds can be vital to your dignity.
2. Also, bring enough clothes so your family doesn't have to go shopping at the last minute. God only knows what your children will bring back to you (I trust them, but I am nervously awaiting the delivery of some clothes that Michael is out shopping for right now).
3. Keep your sense of humor. Hate to say it, but even with my diagnosis, there are truly funny things that happen, and I fully intend to keep laughing.
4. Cry when you feel like crying. Sounds cliche, but a good cry always feels good.
5. Tell the people you love -- that you love them. You never know what tomorrow will bring, or if you'll see them again, so like they say: “Dance as though no one is watching you. Love as though you have never been hurt before. Sing as though no one can hear you. Live as though heaven is on earth.”

12 comments:

  1. Mrs. SCHAEFER,
    I've been reading your blog and I am happy to hear things are going as well as possible. Reading your blog yesterday encouraged me to donate blood again, as well as Jake. So we both made appointments to do so. You're in all of our thoughts. Keep on fighting the good fight, we are all here with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth and her Beeper, a love Story

    The warmth of carcinogenic rays caressed his skin, the wind glanced playfully over his follicle challenged scalp. The day had begun. Karma struck and off the unsuspecting pair went for some liquid refreshment. The caffeinated kind. They entered the horizontally challenged people transferring device and hit the button for the ground floor. Abruptly the device stopped and the doors disappeared into the walls taking me mentally back to the Maxwell Smart days. By the way Agent 99 was hot, but I digress. Standing before us, a woman. She entered the cube shaped device and stepped to one side. I carefully, visually perused this person trying to obtain a mental schematic regarding her choice of attire as well as the typical male ponderings. Her attention to Beth seemed curiously entertaining. Sure I was taken aback by the fact this woman hadn’t so much glanced in my direction, but one woman of a hundreds was my typical odds. Be that as it may, I was intrigued at her obvious interest in Beth’s chest area. Not oblivious to the woman’s stare Beth’s eyes turned to me as if to say “help me” in a voice of the fly from the “Fly” movie or a midget that just sucked down some helium from a balloon, take your pick. Yes, I am trained in the “Arts” but even my Ninja skills and cat like reflexes could not of prohibited what the woman felt compelled to do next.
    Shall I continue?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rational Conclusions to stop kids from drinking bath water:

    Chicken in hot water equals Chicken Soup
    Sitting in a tub equals .....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Beth!! It's Jen Novotney :)
    My heart goes out to you, your family and your babies. Nobody deserves to be stuck in the hospital getting poked and prodded all day but knowing you, you'll look at this head-on and tell leukemia to kiss your a**!
    I LOVE your blog! You are such an inspiration and it's so nice to be able to stay connected and see what's going on; the good, the bad and the ugly.
    You are an angel my family & me and are at the top of my prayer list. Keep up the good work!
    Jen, Matt and Berk

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got prodded once... it wasnt a bad experience

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beth,
    What can I say, I turned Mac on to the blog...at least it will pass the time trying to figure out wtf he is talking about.....sorry Mac. Miss you...everyday.
    Can't say who this is since I wrote profanity and that is not very HR,
    XXXOOO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Beth,
    Kathy K. here, your blog is awesome! Thinking and praying for you everyday. You are an amazing woman and your strength and faith will see you through this.

    "O Lord, be gracious to us; we wait for you. Be our arm every morning, our salvation in the time of trouble" - Isaiah 33:2

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beth,

    Whoo hoo!! I finally figured out how to blog! By the way I took my first ride on my new pink schwinn yesterday! The old fashion bike is not what I thought it would be! I almost forgot how to stop using the pedals instead of hand breaks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Blogs and bike riding its a Christmas miracle............

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Beth,
    I just want you to know that reading this blog, hearing your story has truly change my perspective of life. Thank you for the encouragement, thank you for the laughs, through your blog...I will keep in and your family in my prayers....for I know who holds your tomorrow.....God. You will be just fine. Will definetly be in touch.....

    LaTanya
    MSO

    ReplyDelete