Friday, March 5, 2010

Day 3

So....here I am at University of Chicago, newly diagnosed with AML. I was told at 12:30p on Wednesday March 3rd that I had AML and was considered a medical emergency, and was transferred to UofC and arrived at 6:30P. My first impressions were not good; I am accustomed to the "bright shiney" hospital environment, not a research center with dull walls. The first news I got: You'll be here for at least a month, and I immediately lost it. My family was here, and was very supportive, but to hear that I'll be out of work for at least a month -- what if something happens and I lose my job? How much stuff will happen while I'm gone? I'm angry, tired, and want to turn around and go home. Why me? What did I ever do to deserve this? But I also know that if I don't get treatment, I'll most likely die within 30 days because of the leukemia.

The first night was awful; was having a CAT scan at 2am, more x-rays at 2:30, and the labs at 4a, vital signs every 4hrs. I didn't get one hour of sleep for over 36 hours. And then I met my team: The main physician was awesome and he ordered a ton of meds to reduce my anxiety and help me relax. Result? Slept for 10 hours off and on. And the students up here are also amazing....very sweet group. But I do feel like a medical specimen under a microscope.

So today was my second bone marrow and central line placement. With the drugs they gave me, both procedures were a breeze. I think I slept through the line insertion, and the bone marrow wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. My doctor and his team explained every step, every noise, just about everything step-by-step. They even told me when the most uncomfortable parts would come; but those turned out to be very tolerable and not a problem at all. After sleeping for 6 hours, I woke up to a rather uncomfortable line insertion site, but my bone marrow site is still okay....nothing too bad, and I am sure I'll be able to tolerate it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment